Sunday, September 29, 2013

Review - Sweet Peril by Wendy Higgins



Sweet Peril (The Sweet Trilogy, #2)Anna Whitt, the daughter of a guardian angel and a demon, promised herself she’d never do the work of her father—polluting souls. She’d been naive to make such a vow. She’d been naive about a lot of things.

Haunted by demon whisperers, Anna does whatever she can to survive, even if it means embracing her dark side and earning an unwanted reputation as her school’s party girl. Her life has never looked more bleak. And all the while there’s Kaidan Rowe, son of the Duke of Lust, plaguing her heart and mind.

When an unexpected lost message from the angels surfaces, Anna finds herself traveling the globe with Kopano, son of Wrath, in an attempt to gain support of fellow Nephilim and give them hope for the first time. It soon becomes clear that whatever freedoms Anna and the rest of the Neph are hoping to win will not be gained without a fight. Until then, Anna and Kaidan must put aside the issues between them, overcome the steamiest of temptations yet, and face the ultimate question: is loving someone worth risking their life?



A lot of bloggers feel that when they have to wait a long time for a book especially a sequel, they generally loose interest. And when the book does come out they're mostly disappointed because of a number of reasons. The wait for Sweet Peril nearly killed me ... figuratively of course. I used to stalk Wendy's twitter account everyday hoping that she would release a teaser or have another giveaway. Those teasers she put up every month only worsened the wait. And when the book finally came out I couldn't wait for my copy. When it finally arrived I stayed up till three am reading the book.

Was I disappointed? Did I think the book was worth the wait? ... No I did not think it was. It wasn't worth it! It was SO MUCH MORE THAN JUST WORTH IT!!! It was awesome and epic and insane and awesome and .... Wendy Higgins can take four or five years if she wants to write a book, I don't care how long as long as the book comes out as good, scratch that mind blowingly awesome as Sweet Peril.

Anna as I've said before is the perfect embodiment of a teenager, with the devil and angel on either shoulder. Wendy wrote her character in such a way that we are able to empathize with Anna in any and every situation. I laughed with her, I smiled with her and my heart splintered into a thousand pieces just like hers did. But even through all that Anna found the silver lining. She dug her way through tunnels of anguish and jungles of sorrow and hunted down the silver lining.

A lot of people said that Kai appears pretty late in the book, while that maybe true we get plenty of glimpses of him. Not one bit of the book can be described as withered or dry. It was written and edited to perfection. People who complained that Kai entered the picture very late didn't really appreciate the build up to chapter 14. And let's just say that from then on Wendy had our hearts taking off like rockets. Swoonyness was practically oozing from the pages and I kept having to swallow in my drool like every five seconds. Anna and Kaidan's moments *cough, cough* (I don't even know whether we can call them moments), were enviously amazing. In the first few scenes with him I wanted to punch him in his perfectly perfect face because he was being so douchey but he totally made up for it. Like totally made up for it!

This book was earth shatteringly amazing! It was the perfect sequel and it in no way suffers from middle book syndrome. I know I said that I would wait four to five years for one of Wendy's books but ... it's really hard! I'm just going to end with a quote. " Gosh his eyes were gorgeous - the color of tropical honeymoon waters ringed in dark sapphire enclosed by thick lashes." *sigh*


Rating: 5 stars




 

No comments:

Post a Comment