Friday, April 19, 2013

Review - Of Poseidon by Anna Banks


Of Poseidon (Of Poseidon, #1)




Galen is the prince of the Syrena, sent to land to find a girl he's heard can communicate with fish. Emma is on vacation at the beach. When she runs into Galen — literally, ouch! — both teens sense a connection. But it will take several encounters, including a deadly one with a shark, for Galen to be convinced of Emma's gifts. Now, if he can only convince Emma that she holds the key to his kingdom . . .

Told from both Emma and Galen's points of view, here is a fish-out-of-water story that sparkles with intrigue, humor, and waves of romance.





 


Hmm... where to start with this book. It was pretty interesting. the whole mermaid, I mean Syrena concept. Galen hates being called a mermaid or merman in his case. And relax, it wasn't a spoiler. It's not like you guys didn't guess it anyway. The cover has a girl swimming in water. It can only get so obvious.

I am honestly torn between loving and hating this book. How about I start with a little description of myself. I am an equalist. I'm pretty sure it's not a word. But since I'm so awesome I can get away with creating my own word. Anyway... I am an equalist. Although you know since I'm a girl and all that I mostly all girl power and all that. But I hate it when people try to control other people, racism and I basically hate it when people tell me what to do and all that. But the one thing I hate and I mean hate in this world is forced/ arranged marriages. I practically start to see red when I read books or something in which the poor girl is forced to marry a guy. And I'll be screaming at her to get a backbone and say NO. But of course in the olden/ golden ages women were treated like crap or extremely precious that they couldn't do anything.

So my point is... Oh God I have deviated so much. I have a tendency to vent till I drop, on these kind of subjects.

In this book one of the characters is caught in a * spoiler alert*  forced marriage sort of thing. And I honestly hate how stupid and annoying Galen was on that subject. Ugh! I'm getting angry just thinking about. And the weird part was how the author turned it around in the end. But even after she did that I still couldn't get over the initial injustice. I hated that part of the book. And another thing, the use of the word mate really creeps me out.... BIG time.

I read this werewolf book, this one time, although I'm not into werewolves and shape shifters, it totally put me off werewolves and the like forever. *shudders* It was so creepy. And not to mention so archaic.

Aside from those things, this book was pretty good, and I am going to read the next one. Not to mention, the cover of the next one looks really good!!! This book had just the right amount of swoon to make me like it even when it had all the obvious issues. And not just swoon, it had the suspense appeal as well. So it pretty much kept you on your toes and I just want to say... that I so totally guessed the ending, when they first mentioned spies!!!

Rating - 3 stars







2 comments: